5 facts about carbon monoxide poisoning

  1. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas produced by burning fuel. It's highly dangerous and poisonous and can cause loss of oxygen to the heart and brain as well as multi-organ failure. Exposure to high levels of carbon monoxide can be life-threatening.
  2. The most common situations in which carbon monoxide poisoning may occur is exposure to the gas in improperly ventilated or closed spaces through fuel-burning engines and appliances or by inhaling combustion fumes.
  3. Exposure to a low level of carbon monoxide results in the following symptoms:
    • Nausea
    • Mild Headache
    • Shortness of breath
  4. Exposure to high level of carbon monoxide results in the following symptoms:
    • Dizziness
    • Weakness
    • Blurred vision
    • Severe headache
    • Loss of consciousness
    • Nausea and vomiting
  5. The only therapeutic measure for the management of carbon monoxide poisoning is going outside and breathing fresh air. In severe cases or if you experience any of the above symptoms, it is advised to seek urgent medical care as soon as possible.

For more information

Book an appointment