5 Tips for diabetic patients in hot months of summer
It's noticed that diabetic patients are more sensitive to the hot weather in summer. Also, excessive exposure to extreme heat may affect blood glucose level. So, through this topic we will highlight some important tips for diabetic patients in the hot months of summer.
1. Stay hydrated and don't forget to drink plenty of water especially if you are physically active. Also, it's advised to carry a small bottle of water everywhere you go to avoid dehydration.
2. The golden advice for diabetic patients in summer is testing blood glucose level frequently as hot temperature may cause fluctuation of blood glucose level.
3. Visit you doctor and ask him to adjust your dose of insulin or any other medications if needed.
4. Episodes of hypoglycemia is very common for diabetic patients during hot summer, so it's advised to carry some candy or any other source of sugar to be ingested when you feel symptoms that denote drop of blood glucose level.
5. According to medical studies, insulin can tolerate temperature up to 35⁰ C, which means exposure of insulin to a temperature higher than 35⁰ C leads to break down of insulin and losing of it therapeutic effect. So, always be careful to store your insulin in an appropriate temperature.