5 tips to maintain good vision
People often take their eyesight for granted. However, if you do have a clear vision it is essential to take the necessary steps to maintain it. The eye is a crucial organ and impacts our overall health and quality of life. Here are a few lifestyle tips to help you maintain good eyesight:
- Schedule regular eye exams with an eye specialist, particularly if you are experiencing symptoms such as blurry vision, pain, redness, swelling, itching, and light flashes.
- Maintain your blood pressure and blood glucose levels as patients with uncontrolled hypertension or diabetes are considered to be at a higher risk for eye diseases, such as glaucoma, cataract, retinal cell damage, and impaired retinal blood supply. These issues can lead to an acute or gradual loss of vision.
- Protect your eyes from the harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun by wearing prescription sunglasses, clip-on sunglasses, or UV-blocking contact lenses. Limiting the duration of exposure can also help reduce the risk of eye diseases such as macular degeneration, solar retinitis, and corneal dystrophies.
- Wear the right prescription lenses, or consider corrective surgery, if you have poor vision as not wearing them can cause discomfort such as, eyestrain and headaches.
- Wear protective gear and eyewear while playing sports or working with hazardous materials to reduce the risk of eye injury, vision damage, and complete loss of sight.