6 tips to relieve flatulence
While the release of excess air through the intestinal tract is both normal and natural, it can cause discomfort and embarrassment. If you experience excessive flatulence that affects your daily activities or causes pain consult a doctor.
Here are a few tips to help relieve gas from your system:
- Being physically active ensures the easy elimination of excess air from the body. Working out three or four days a week for at least 30 minutes and abdominal-strengthening exercises can help keep the digestive tract moving.
- Having a bowel movement anywhere from three times daily to once every other day is normal. This helps limit the build-up of gas-producing bacteria. Drinking a sufficient amount of water and consuming fiber-rich foods can help prevent constipation.
- Certain medications such as decongestants, allergy medications, and some blood pressure drugs can slow down intestinal processes causing air to accumulate in your intestinal tract. Consult your doctor if you believe your medications are causing excessive gas in your body.
- Cruciferous vegetables, such as cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, brussels sprouts, and asparagus should be consumed in moderation as they produce more gas than other vegetables.
- Avoid carbonated beverages, fermented foods, and drinks containing high fructose corn syrup as they feed the bacteria in your digestive tract resulting in excess air in the intestinal tract.
- Avoid dairy products if you are lactose intolerant as they can cause a build-up of gas in your gastrointestinal tract.