What is insulin shock?


Insulin shock, also known as severe hypoglycemia, is a condition that may develop due to excess insulin and insufficient glucose in the blood, resulting in severely low blood sugar levels.
Excess insulin levels in the blood occur due to insufficient intake of carbohydrates for the amount of insulin the patient has taken or increased physical activity without adjusting their insulin dose.

Symptoms of insulin shock include:

  • Confusion
  • Blurry vision
  • Muscle weakness
  • Difficulty speaking
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Convulsions or seizures

Insulin shock can be managed by:

  • Drinking half a cup of fruit juice
  • Consuming three or four glucose tablets
  • Eating foods and beverages that contain about 15 grams of fast-acting carbohydrates. Avoid sweets such as chocolate and cookies as they contain fats that delay the absorption of carbohydrates.

However, if these methods do not work or if the patient experiences seizures or a sudden loss of consciousness, seek immediate medical assistance.

World class doctors and facilitiesGet consultation for your health care queries and treatment today!

Book an appointment

Book an appointment