5 Tips for pilgrims to avoid heat exhaustion and sunstroke
The kingdom of Saudi Arabia is considered one of the countries with hot weather, especially in summer. So pilgrims, especially elderly, are liable to get heat exhaustion and sunstroke, as most rituals of pilgrimage are done in the open air and in overcrowded areas. Through this topic, we will highlight the most significant tips that will be helpful in protecting pilgrims from heat exhaustion and sunstroke.
1. Regular intake of water and fluids to avoid dehydration. Also for the same reason, it's advised to limit the intake of salty and spicy foods as well as caffeine beverages because they have diuretic effect and may cause dehydration.
2. Wearing loose-fitting and light-colored clothes.
3. To avoid exposure to direct sunlight, it's advised to use umbrella in opened spaces. Also, existence in overcrowded areas should be avoided as possible.
4. Having rest in-between rituals of pilgrimage when it's available.
5. Taking a cold shower every day.
On the other side, it's important to know the clinical signs of heat exhaustion and sunstroke, they include; fever, fatigue, nausea, dizziness, headache, muscle twitches and loss of consciousness. If you experience any of these symptoms, first aids should be applied whether by you or with the help of others; it's advised to do the following:
Keeping away from direct sunlight.
Splashing your body with cold water to lower your body temperature.
Correction of dehydration by oral or IV fluids.
Getting some rest.
You can take antipyretic medications to eliminate fever.
World class doctors and facilitiesGet consultation for your health care queries and treatment today!