According to medical studies, there are 6 investigations that will be helpful in telling us about the current health condition of your heart, they include the following:
1. Waist circumference: it's an indicator for obesity which is a significant risk factor for heart disease. Normal waist circumference for adult males shouldn't exceed 37 inches while in adult females less than 32 inches. On the other side, if waist circumference more than 40 inches in adult males or 35 inches in adult females, it's a significant sign for increased risk of heart disease.
2. Body mass index (BMI): normal values of BMI ranges between 18.5- 25. Increased ratios of BMI means excessive burden over the heart, which increases the risk of cardiac functions deterioration up to heart failure.
3. Blood pressure: normal blood pressure is 120/80 mmHg. Doctors believe that long-term increased blood pressure over 140/100 indicates chronic hypertension, which increases the risk of many cardiovascular diseases.
4. Low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol level: normal level of LDL cholesterol should be less than 100 mg/dl, while increased level over 130 mg/dl increases the risk of atherosclerosis and formation of blood clots.
5. Triglycerides level: normal level of triglycerides should be less than 150 mg/dl. On the other side, increased level of triglycerides over 200 mg/dl increases the risk of heart disease.
6. Fasting blood glucose level: this test helps in early diagnosis of diabetes which is one of the most significant risk factors for heart disease. Normal fasting blood glucose level is less than 100 mg/dl, while the results over 125 mg/dl indicates diabetes, which in turn increases the risk of heart disease.
World class doctors and facilitiesGet consultation for your health care queries and treatment today!