There are many factors which affect our health as we age, for example; genetics, smoking and stress. Aging affects the physiology of our body systems and can cause many physiological changes, but we can manage and overcome these changes to stay healthy. So, through this topic we will highlight the most significant tips that will help men to be healthy and youthful as they age.
1. As men get older, the risk of hypertension and heart disease is increased. To avoid these risks, it's advised to quit smoking and restrict the intake of fats to the minimum.
2. As we age, our cognitive functions are deteriorated, so they elderly may experience problems in memory, concentration and thinking. To improve the entire brain functions, it's advised do some activities which keep the brain sharp, such as; mental exercises, yoga, meditation, massage, listening to music as well as sharing in social activities.
3. The golden rule to stay healthy as you age is to sleep well and eliminate any causative factor that could be responsible for insomnia or sleep disorder.
4. Watch your weight, as obesity could be responsible for many health issue which are common in old age, such as; atherosclerosis, diabetes, hypertension, hepatic dysfunction, hormonal disorders, kidney disease and erectile dysfunction.
5. Benign prostatic hyperplasia is very common in old men, so if you noticed any warning sign for prostate problems (such as dysuria or recurrent UTI), it's advised to seek medical consultation.
6. It's important to do all the needed health screenings, which include; checking of blood pressure, blood glucose level, blood cholesterol level as well as screenings of cancer (especially colon cancer, prostate cancer and testicular cancer).
7. You should be physically active, regular exercise is highly recommended. You can try any physical activities, such as; walking, running, swimming, biking, aerobics… etc.