Skip to main content
Proper nutrition for the elderly
Proper nutrition is a lifelong journey from Childhood to old age.
Many have wrong beliefs regarding the nutrition needed for the elderly and their inability to meet the nutritional requirements of their body perfectly.
In this blog, we will talk about proper nutrition for the elderly, their symptoms of malnutrition and their ability to do exercises.
First: Appropriate nutrition for the elderly:
- The lack of estrogen in women after the fifties causes a calcium deficiency. Thus, women need calcium supplements to avoid osteoporosis.
Dairy and green leaves are the best sources of calcium.
- With age, muscle mass decreases, so the elderly need daily protein compensation.
Chicken, red meat, fish and legumes are good sources of protein.
- Bloating increases in menopause, but with reduced sodium consumption, this problem can be prevented, as well as preventing blood pressure problems.
- Eating foods rich in fish oil that contains omega-3 helps avoid the risk of heart disease and helps maintain healthy eyes and brain and reduce Alzheimer's symptoms.
- The production of vitamin D from the skin decreases with age, so eating fish is an essential helper in compensating this deficiency,
- Sardines, salmon and mackerel are the best alternatives to help with this
- The risk of breast cancer increases with age, but eating soy, which contains phytoestrogen, helps prevent the disease.
- Drinking water is necessary to keep the body hydrated and get the minerals the body needs, such as fluoride, calcium and magnesium.
Second: What are the symptoms of malnutrition in the elderly?
There are many symptoms of malnutrition in the elderly, including the following:
- Feeling cold all the time.
- Inability to concentrate.
- Weak immune system and frequent infections.
- Loss of muscle mass.
- Persistent depression.
- Difficulty healing wounds and injuries.
- Rapid fat and tissue loss.
- Poor physical, muscular and mental performance.
Third: Is it possible to exercise in the elderly?
Of course, they can exercise due to its importance for stimulating blood circulation and strengthening muscles to increase their endurance.